Welcome Note

For family members submitting recipes: please double and triple check to make sure you've got all amounts correct and all the necessary ingredients in your recipes. Fill in the label box only with MAJOR ingredients for easier searching (salt and pepper really are not necessary) as well as if the recipe is a main dish, side dish, soup, salad, bread, and/or dessert. Pictures are awesome but not necessary if unavailable.

For random readers from across the world who happen upon this little blog: welcome and we hope you enjoy the recipes from our family's kitchens!

Monday, November 14, 2011

Sweet Potato Oven Fries

Cut sweet potatoes into wedges or 1/4" sticks. Soak in water with 2 tsp. salt for at least 15 minutes (the longer, the crispier they'll be, science and osmosis sort of thing).

Spray foiled baking sheet lightly with some oil. Spread on sweet potatoes and spray with a little oil as well. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and/or other seasonings of your choice. (Not too much salt, though.)

Bake at 425 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until crispy on the outside, flipping half way through for even cooking.

Dip in fry sauce (famous pink mixture of mayonnaise, ketchup, and relish from Utah) and eat!

2 comments:

  1. I love these! I have long had my own nearly identical recipe (originally from mom), although I suppose that it isn't too surprising that your recipe is so similar, since potato wedges aren't going to vary too much! :-)

    I usually take vegetable or olive oil, and *very* lightly coat the potatoes with a basting brush after placing them on the pan. I also cover the baking sheet with tin foil to make clean-up easier.

    And then, for extra flavour, I skip the salt and pepper and sprinkle them with season-all spice! I like the mixture of salt, pepper, garlic, and other tasty spices.

    I have never soaked the potatoes in water, so I'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soaking them in water supposedly helps to make them crispy; the longer they soak, the better, according to the original recipe but I usually am lucky if I have 15 minutes to soak them in time to bake them for dinner.

    Thayne prefers them "au naturale" but I like at least a tiny bit of salt & pepper. I never thought to use other seasonings like garlic. Thanks Michael!

    ReplyDelete