Welcome Note

For family members submitting recipes: please double and triple check to make sure you've got all amounts correct and all the necessary ingredients in your recipes. Fill in the label box only with MAJOR ingredients for easier searching (salt and pepper really are not necessary) as well as if the recipe is a main dish, side dish, soup, salad, bread, and/or dessert. Pictures are awesome but not necessary if unavailable.

For random readers from across the world who happen upon this little blog: welcome and we hope you enjoy the recipes from our family's kitchens!

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Swedish Pancakes


This recipe is special to me for several reasons. First and foremost because I have many fond memories of Dad making this tasty recipe for breakfast! I also connect because I have Swedish blood in me! And since my father served an LDS mission in Sweden, he got to taste how the Swede's make it.

Now that I have made it for my own family, they love this recipe too! Celeste, Samuel, and Ruth all devour the pancakes, made more healthy by the wheat flour my Dad has chosen to use. Most recently, Ruth even ate six pancakes filled with a variety of jam's! Quite a healthy appetite she has for a little girl of two years! I've cooked up Swedish Pancakes at least four times this year, and I keep tweaking the recipe to match that which I remember my father making. With this version of the recipe, I have gotten very close.

When we went to visit my parents last Saturday, Celeste and Samuel excitedly told their Grandpa that Daddy made Swedish pancakes! I spoke to Dad about it, and he said that the choice to use wheat flour was his own. Many of the Swede's cook them with white flour, which allows them to be even thinner... much like crepe's. Of course, many Swede's are only getting started with the jam. They often sprinkle powder sugar on top before rolling them up.

Ingredients:
  - 1 cup wheat flour
  - 2 tsp cinnamon
  - 1/2 tsp salt
  - 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  - 2 eggs (beaten)
  - 1 tsp vanilla
  - /4 cup sugar
  - 1½ cups milk
  - 1/3 cup melted butter

Directions:
  1. Pour wheat flour into a medium mixing bowl. Stir in cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and sugar.

  2. Beat eggs until lightly mixed. Add vanilla and stir.

  3. Combine egg mixture to flour mixture. Stir until blended.

  4. Add milk and stir until ingredient compounds are sufficiently integrated.

  5. The pancake batter should be runny. Thicker batter creates thick pancakes; you want the pancakes to be fairly thin so that they can be rolled up once the jam is spread. Add additional milk if necessary to reach the desired consistency. You'll have to experiment based on altitude, humidity, and personal preference.

  6. Melt butter in Microwave; add to the pancake batter and mix.

  7. Cook on electric griddle at 275 - 300 degrees. You can also cook them in a frying pan using medium heat over the stove. A grill is preferred for heat consistency.

  8. Using a small measuring cup, pour batter as circles 4" in diameter.

  9. As with most pancakes, flip when the bubbles start to pop.


Serve: Hot! Spread a line of jam or jelly down the middle of the pancake, and roll it up like taco. Then consume! Instead of meat, your taste buds will be greeted with the sweet flavour of your favorite jam or jelly. I have used apricot, peach, strawberry, raspberry, boysenberry and grape. But my favorite has always been apricot!


Notes: This recipe is not a perfect recreation of what my father recited to me over the phone several years ago. The recipe that my Dad gave me called for many approximations, making it a very inexact science. For instance: a dash of salt, a bit of nutmeg and vanilla, and "enough milk to make it runny." ;-) Certainly with such a fantastic and tasty breakfast dish, I wanted to distill measured ingredients that I could consistently make them myself. I have been tweaking the recipe every time, and now the pancakes cook up very close to the way I remember Dad making them.

I've also cut the recipe back... almost in half. Dad's original recipe calls for a full 2 cups of wheat flour! I quickly learned that while it doesn't initially seem like too much, the amount of batter grows dramatically as you add the other ingredients. If you choose to use 2 cups of flour, don't forget to double everything else in the recipe. After adding "enough milk to make the batter runny," you will fill a large mixing bowl! It's fine for a hearty family of two adults and five teenagers, but if you have a smaller family like we do, 50 pancakes is a tad too many! Unless you have a duck pond nearby that you can take the left-overs to feed! :-) So I recommend the measurements that I have used, and then calibrate the recipe to your family's appetite thereafter.

Don't forget to mix in the melted butter at the end. My father adds it to keep the pancakes from sticking in the frying pan. It's not a problem on my stick-free electric grill, but I still use the butter because it adds a touch or richness to the flavour.

Last of all, I have a special request for Dad: Please try my reduced recipe, and comment on how close I am in both flavour and consistency. I'd be very curious to get your feedback since you are, after all, the one who perfected it while we were growing up. Michelle, Nathan, and Thayne: Feel free to critique it also! After all, you each grew up eating it too. :-)

2 comments:

  1. I love the kitty cat face.
    - Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds pretty accurate to me, at least the way I used to do them! I haven't done them for several years now, so I'm not sure I'd remember exactly how I did them. However, for the purists among you, if I remember correctly the original Swedish way of doing them did not include nutmeg, vanilla or cinnamon, I added those because I liked them. It also used white flour. Sometimes the Swedes would put fresh fruit or whipping cream on them.

    ReplyDelete