Welcome Note

For family members submitting recipes: please double and triple check to make sure you've got all amounts correct and all the necessary ingredients in your recipes. Fill in the label box only with MAJOR ingredients for easier searching (salt and pepper really are not necessary) as well as if the recipe is a main dish, side dish, soup, salad, bread, and/or dessert. Pictures are awesome but not necessary if unavailable.

For random readers from across the world who happen upon this little blog: welcome and we hope you enjoy the recipes from our family's kitchens!

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Baked Potato Soup

This is probably the first soup I ever made that didn't come from a can because I durned well felt like making soup from scratch one night. The recipe came from one of my favorite cooking blogs, Eat At Home, but I left out the bacon because I didn't feel like getting frostbitten fingers searching for it in the freezer. I also added broccoli because Thayne loves it on his baked potatoes. So my rule is - put whatever you usually like on baked potatoes!

4-6 baked potatoes
1 onion, chopped
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup flour
6 cups milk
1-2 cups cheese
Steamed Broccoli (frozen California blend veggies work, too)
Seasonings of your choice

Bake the potatoes (microwave or oven is fine) and scoop out the pulp. I got tired halfway through and just ended up cutting the rest into chunks instead.
Melt butter and saute onion, add milk, WHISK in flour. DO NOT BOIL!
Add potatoes, cheese, broccoli.
Season to taste with what you generally like to put on baked potatoes. We like Mrs. Dash, garlic salt, and pepper.
Mmmmm, this soup is tasty! I don't know how healthy it may be but I don't always care about that. Bad me!

No comments:

Post a Comment